The Ultimate Guide to Buying Kitchen Appliances Online
by Pete Lader February 07, 2022
By now, you’re likely pretty comfortable with the idea of buying goods online. Recent studies show that over 80 percent of consumers shop online, with over half of them choosing the web as their preferred method over brick-and-mortar shopping. While the most popular categories for digital shoppers are fashion, media and electronics, large appliances are a fast-growing segment consuming more and more of consumers’ total digital spend each year.
Whether you’re eyeing a new fridge or want to invest in one of our complete kitchen appliance packages, there’s a good chance you’ll start — and possibly complete — your purchase journey online. And since buying online means extra savings, unmatched convenience and access to the largest selection, that’s probably a smart move. But with so many questionable websites and too-good-to-be-true deals, it’s important that you know the best strategies for buying appliances online. In this guide, we’ll go over why you should buy large appliances online and provide some useful tools to help you do so in a way that’s safe and hassle-free.
Find the Perfect Kitchen Appliances for Your Home
Why Shop for Appliances Online?
A more globalized, digital world has spurred a significant spike in online appliance sales. In fact, surveys reveal that nearly 40 percent of all appliance purchases will be made digitally by the year 2025. Unsurprisingly, 26% of consumers who buy appliances, buy them online. There are some clear reasons why taking the digital route tends to be the most appealing option for buyers, including:
- Knowledge Is Power — Even if you don’t end up pulling the trigger and buying your new appliance online, there’s no denying that the internet will probably influence your purchase decision. In fact, reports show that 81 percent of consumers research a product online before purchasing. The reality is that you’re not going to sit and read a 20-page brochure in the store, but you’re much more likely to get into the specs and nitty-gritties of an appliance when you’re researching in the comfort of your own home and have access to videos, infographics and more interactive forms of content.
- Low Prices Guaranteed — The ability to compare prices is another great thing about shopping for anything online. With tools like Google Shopping or simply scrolling through search results, you’ll be able to compare prices of the best refrigerators, ranges, dishwashers and more without having to leave your house. This ensures that you find the exact model or brand you desire without overpaying.
- Shop on Your Time Schedule — There’s simply no denying that buying goods online can save you some hassle compared with buying in-store. There’s no commuting, no waiting in line and no working around a store’s hours. With online shopping, you can get the job done on your own time and spend as much or as little time on the task as you desire. Plus, there’s no pressure from sales associates who stand to make a commission in the showroom. Going digital is a great way to reduce some of the pressure and stress commonly associated with making such a big purchase.
Before You Buy: Set a Budget and Measure
Regardless whether you buy online or in-store, you’ll want to start your appliance-shopping journey with the following important steps:
- Set a Budget — Step one of purchasing any big-ticket item for your home is determining how much you’re willing to spend. Luckily, the cost of large appliances varies widely from a few hundred dollars to over $40,000 for the world’s most high-tech, high-end fridge. Luckily, most consumers can get quality kitchen ranges, fridges and more for a price that suits their budget. Plus, financing is often available through the retailer to help you pay for your appliances over a timeline that makes sense for you.
- Assess Your Needs — The price of your new appliance will depend largely on its size, style and features. Once you have a set budget, make a list of your needs and wants in each appliance. Ideally, you’ll be able to get exactly what you want within your budget. You may have to compromise some features to ensure that you don’t overspend. Ask yourself the following questions to determine what’s important to you:
- How much storage space, cooking space or burners do you need?
- Would a “smart” appliance enhance your life? For example, would it simplify your life if you could preheat the oven from your phone?
- What is your ideal finish? Do you need your appliances to match?
- What special features will help you get the most of your appliances?
- Do you want to upgrade more than one appliance? If so, you’re probably eligible for some big savings with bundled packages.
- Measure Your Space — Last but not least, make sure to take accurate measurements of your space before ordering your new appliances. Any reputable online retailer will happily exchange or refund your unit if it’s not the right fit, but it will save you a ton of time, hassle and money — ahem, takeout costs — if you get it right the first time. If you have questions about the best way to measure your space for new appliances, don’t hesitate to reach out to us with your questions.
Tips for Buying Kitchen Appliances Online
If you’ve decided that going the digital route is the best choice for you and your household, good for you! Make sure you set yourself up by keeping the following tips in your toolkit. These tips and tricks will help you avoid getting scammed or caught up in a deal with poor customer service, slow shipping or unreliable products.
- Buy from a Company with Free Shipping — Costly shipping and high delivery fees are some of the biggest reasons shoppers still rely on in-person shopping for larger items such as appliances. Naturally, for bulky and heavy items, shipping costs can cause the price tag to skyrocket. Shipping fees and tax can add hundreds to the final cost of your appliance, so keep this in mind when you look at the initial numbers. Your best bet is to go with a retailer, like Premium Home Source, that offers free shipping with no catch.
- Look For (and Use) the Phone Number — A reputable online retailer will have their phone number listed prominently on the website and encourage users to call it. The truth of the matter is that, while more and more shoppers are making big purchases online, it can be helpful to speak with a dedicated salesperson throughout the process. A working phone number and easy access to a knowledgeable sales team is a surefire sign that the website is legit and can help ensure that your experience is hassle-free.
- Shop with Authorized Dealers — Authorized dealers are companies that have been approved by a manufacturer to sell its products. This should give you added peace of mind because the maker has specifically called out the seller as trustworthy and because you can expect the retailer’s sales team to be well-versed on the products. Premium Home Source is an authorized dealer for all brands we offer, including ZLINE, Thor Kitchen, Blaze Grills, Forno and Kucht. Typically, a manufacturer’s official website will list authorized retailers, so make sure to check there to confirm legitimacy.
- Check the Return Policy — Even if you’ve measured twice and done all the research you can do, it’s still nice to have a roomy and relaxed return policy should something go wrong. Inspect the website’s return policy to ensure that they’ll allow you to return merchandise for any reason — even if you simply don’t like the way it looks in your home — and read about return or restocking fees that may apply. At the end of the day, the most important thing is that you get the appliance you want, and you never want to get stuck with something that’s less than ideal for your home or family.
- Rely on Reviews — The beauty of the internet is that you can get plenty of perspectives on every purchase before you spend a single dollar. Do a deep dive on the website and the product itself to determine if the sale is a good fit. Websites like Trustpilot, the Better Business Bureau and others will help determine if the website is trustworthy. You can also look at a company’s Facebook or Google Maps reviews for additional insight. Consumer Reports, CNET and others can be useful for reviews of appliances and brands.
- Ask About Bundles — If you need to upgrade more than one appliance, make sure to look for websites that offer deals on kitchen appliance packages. For example, here at Premium Home Source, we offer bundles that can help you save thousands on ranges, fridges, dishwashers, wine coolers and much more when you buy them together. This is the best way to go if you’re doing a total kitchen remodel or are swapping out multiple units at once, as it shaves off a ton of cash when compared to buying appliances individually.
- Think Beyond the Obvious Brands — While a handful of well-known brands once dominated the appliance showroom, we now see tons of diversity in the space. New and global brands provide more options to meet the growing consumer demand for designer-inspired, colorful and commercial-look kitchen appliances. These lesser-known brands are racking up their own reputations and glowing reviews, so don’t discount them. With access to so many reviews, you’ll find that there are many more amazing brands out there than you might have originally considered.
- Don’t Forget to Check the Warranty — Warranties are important to protecting your appliance purchase and can come in handy if anything goes wrong with your purchase in the first year or two after you buy it. Check with the retailer, as well as the manufacturer, to confirm what is covered and for how long. While most manufacturers automatically cover kitchen appliances for a year or so, it may be worth your while to invest in an extended warranty, especially if you live in a busy household or do a lot of hosting.
Shop Appliances Online at Premium Home Source
These days, shopping for kitchen appliances online is less of a novelty and more of a necessity. Thankfully, with so many reputable online retailers who have mastered the art of shipping large appliances, there’s no need to worry if you take this route. Premium Home Source is a top-notch resource for buying appliances online. With a best-in-class return policy and exceptional customer service, you can feel confident about your appliance purchase when you shop with us.